G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Required speedos, what do you guys think?

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

jay

Required speedos, what do you guys think?

Post by jay » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:27 am

Lifeguard, 61, sues state for firing him after he refused to wear Speedo

BY THOMAS ZAMBITO
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, August 18th 2011, 4:00 AM

Stephen Barcelo for News
Lifeguard Roy Lester, 58, said he lost his job after 40 years at the beach after he refused to wear a Speedo.
LINE IN THE SAND
Speedos and Age
Do you think Roy Lester should be forced to wear a Speedo on the job?

Yes, if it's the uniform and everyone else has to wear it.
No, not if doesn't prevent him from performing his duties.
Not sure.

Roy Lester is out to prove that no man above the age of 50 has any business wearing a skimpy, form-hugging Speedo.

In 2007, Lester was forced out of the Jones Beach lifeguard job he had held for four decades when he was told he had to squeeze into a Speedo for the annual swim test.

The 61-year-old Long Island man, who preferred his slightly more modest pair of biking shorts, refused and lost his job.

Lester sued the state, claiming age discrimination, arguing the Speedo is for the washboard stomach set, not aging dads like him.

"I wore a Speedo when I was in my 20s," Lester said. "But come on. There should be a law prohibiting anyone over the age of 50 from wearing a Speedo."

Lester's swimsuit suit against the state Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation was dismissed on technical grounds in 2008. So was another suit Lester filed in 2009.

Last week, in a setback to the state attorney general, an appeals court reinstated his claim. Lester's case could go to trial this year or next in Nassau County.

Lester believes the Speedo edict was an attempt to rid Jones Beach of its aging lifeguards. The former lifeguard union head estimates that more than 80% of Jones Beach lifeguards are older than 40.

"This was not right," said Lester, a bankruptcy lawyer who is representing himself in the age discrimination claim. "They were just trying to get rid of the older guys. To me the whole key to being a good lifeguard is experience. An older guy sees a save before anyone else. You know the water."

Lester has butted heads with bosses before. In a 2006 union newsletter posting, he accused officials of disciplining Jewish lifeguards more often than non-Jews.

State officials declined to comment on the suit.

Long Island lifeguards must pass a more rigorous array of tests than lifeguards elsewhere in the state in order to work at one of eight state beaches.

Male candidates must wear "boxer, briefs or board shorts" during a 100-yard swim they must finish in 75 seconds, according to state standards.

In the city, prospective lifeguards are required only to wear a bathing suit; its size and make are unspecified.

State officials wouldn't say whether there was a Speedo-only policy in place when Lester showed up for his 100-yard swim in 2007 and again in 2008.

"I could have passed that test in dungarees," said Lester, an accomplished triathlete who last week finished at the top of his age group in a lifeguarding competition held in Cape May, N.J.

Fellow lifeguards sporting biker shorts to their annual test relented and donned the Speedo, Lester says.

For now, the father of three has settled for working as a lifeguard at the private Atlantic Beach near his Long Beach home. Three days a week, he and others do an hourlong open-water swim off Neptune Beach.

"At a certain point you have to stand up and say this isn't right," Lester says. "I sat in a lifeguard chair for 40 years and I loved it. To me, to back down would have made me a hypocrite."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/201 ... z1VO28jV3Z

solarguy

Re: Required speedos, what do you guys think?

Post by solarguy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:21 pm

if he wanted the job that much, he should have manned up and wore his Speedo. It would only have been for the test. The judge should throw this out of court!

Duncandude

Post by Duncandude » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:51 pm

It sounds like a frivolous lawsuit to me. And it's not like bike pants (aren't they skin-tight?) are any more modest than speedos. I'm confused...

Pete

Post by Pete » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:11 am

Exactly Duncandude.

krysis

Post by krysis » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:27 pm

Apparently showing a bit of leg is not acceptable for him :/

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:14 am

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. He is 61 years old, and it sounds like he feels its inappropriate for a 61 year old to be prancing around in a speedo. With regards to the bike pants, yes they're skin tight, but they aren't just a cover for your junk. Also, at his age, he may feel that his body is no longer the firm, tones, and finely toned piece of art it was in years past.

mancspeedoboy

Post by mancspeedoboy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:28 am

Actually, he didn't have to do his job wearing a speedo; he simply had to undertake the fitness test wearing one which is something he had done every year in his job. Sounds like he just wants some compo money.

California Dolphin

Post by California Dolphin » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:56 pm

This story has been spreading like wild fire. Here's my response: :P

http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=2 ... stcount=10

CD

AB FAV

Post by AB FAV » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:56 pm

I do a lot of things I don't like for my work/job. It comes with the territory.

Besides, the checks don't bounce and they're not asking to me to what I do for free.

aussiebumfan

Post by aussiebumfan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:44 pm

I'm going to join the devil's advocate for this one. He obviously has his reasons for it, and that should be respected. I don't know about the US, but over here a lot of the lifesavers are volunteers.

AB FAV

Post by AB FAV » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:12 pm

Yep the dude has his reasons and I certainly respect them. But unfortunately it does not change the fact that he will have to live with the consequences of his choice.

Do I think they should require a 60 year old man to have to wear a speedo type suit? Absolutely not. Dumb policy if you ask me. Perhaps for the more modest types they should give them the option of jammers or more brief trunks similar to what you see joggers running in someitmes.

If it were me, I'd have simply put the freakin Speedo on, did my thing and continue getting paid. Especially if I had a nice physique.