G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

How are water polo speedos different from regular speedos?

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

Tobias

How are water polo speedos different from regular speedos?

Post by Tobias » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:13 pm

I notice that water polo speedos seem quite popular and there are a lot of styles out there made by all the big swimwear firms.

The only difference I see is that they offer more rear coverage and are fairly loose fitting.

There can't be that many water polo teams so the quantity of product available tells me non-water polo players buy this style too.

What is it that makes the style popular? Are there other differences from regular speedos besides the two I noted above?

johnc
United States of America

Re: How are water polo speedos different from regular speedo

Post by johnc » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:39 pm

water polo suits are fully lined front and back, and might not the best choice for doing flip turns since the back won't stretch much. They are made to be really rugged so they don't get torn.

I'm guessing water polo is more popular than you think, but some swimmers wear the turbo suits because they last so long.

uni swimmer

Post by uni swimmer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks johnc you just answered a question I was thinking of, on the uk speedo site there are no turbo suits which was too bad because I really like the way they look. But I guess if they are a polo suit this answers my question.

Thanks
Sam

Texas_swimmer
United States of America

Post by Texas_swimmer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:24 pm

Waterpolo suits are generally made from different materials, I believe polyester? I cant remember at the moment. Also they are usually tighter to stay on while your playing, wouldnt want to be in your birthday suit on accident during a game now would you? :P
Life is too short to worry what other people think.

Nate
Wales

Post by Nate » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:56 am

uni swimmer wrote:Thanks johnc you just answered a question I was thinking of, on the uk speedo site there are no turbo suits which was too bad because I really like the way they look. But I guess if they are a polo suit this answers my question.

Thanks
Sam
If you're looking to buy Turbo go to www.waterpoloshop.com

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:30 am

Texas_swimmer wrote:Waterpolo suits are generally made from different materials, I believe polyester? I cant remember at the moment. Also they are usually tighter to stay on while your playing, wouldnt want to be in your birthday suit on accident during a game now would you? :P
I know that supposedly when playing water polo the guys pull and tug at the trunks (and goose each other I've been told) of the opposing team members. Anything to win and it seems it gets pretty rough under the waterline with each other.

Makes sense the double lining and sturdier suits though the photos I've seen make the suits look looser fitting than the normal speedo. There is a photo, link below, of two Stanford U. waterpolo players in the Photos thread and their suits look pretty baggy. The suit on one of the guys, on the right, looks like it could easily slip off. But yes, intuitively you'd think WP suits would be very tight so they can't be pulled off during a meet.

http://www.thespeedoforum.com/viewtopic ... 1&t=137183

merken

Post by merken » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:25 pm

I recently had to retire my regular lap-swimming suit (the butt was starting to wear through) and ended up buying a water polo brief because I liked the design, which wasn't available on the "traditional" swim briefs.

The water polo suit is lined front and back, but I honestly don't find it any tighter or looser than a regular speedo. It is made of polyester. I think it covers the butt a little more, but the sides look shorter by about 0.5" (1.25cm). I like it so far and it doesn't feel any different to me in the water.